Friday, June 25, 2010

Risky Business



My dearest Tom Cruise, this has totally nothing to do with your debut on the silver screen but please allow me to draw on your movie’s legendary title for this brief sappy moment.

Twelve years ago, I was literally on a high having just been offered a new job coupled with a hundred percent raise on my then existing wage rate. It came just at the right time, when I was about to give up on my worn-out advertising job. And even if it wasn’t exactly served on a silver platter either, luckily I still managed to acquire the attractive post without so much fuss.

It was both exciting and terrifying when I started my new work. It took a while for me to blend with the rest of the group but eventually, I was able to squeeze myself into the mold that already existed. Albeit the work involved was not as taxing as my previous job, I was able to withstand temporary boredom from time to time. And with the add-on privileges that weren’t as common somewhere else, I was actually having fun.

I was taken aback when the management suddenly turned its course and did some mutation on our existing benefits, causing distress leading to animosity on our behalf. I, together with a close friend and colleague, even made a few attempts if only to reclaim whatever we have unlawfully lost but to no avail. And with the possibility of losing our jobs, it was demoralizing to be treated in such a way that leaves you no choice but to accept what was only being offered.

Several years have gone by and our assignments are about to end again. The end that is more vivid this time. And without any assurance of further employment offers, I am about to completely lose the 12 years (of service) I have ardently built up in this company. Thanks to brilliant and radical minds, we were (finally) able to establish basis on whatever is due us legally. Although it may still take time to resolve and rectify issues and differences between the management and the workforce, I am willing to wait on it. And this time, I certainly wouldn’t give up on this one without putting on a good fight.

1 comment: