Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Mini Artwork


In 1992, I was a graduating (super) senior Fine Arts student at UP Cebu. As a prerequisite to all BFA students, we were required to mount either an individual or group painting exhibit (thesis to others) prior to graduation. But in those days, producing a one-man show especially for a young student, was both financially and physically exigent and so for practical reasons, along with my close friends Geraldine and Ivy, we decided to come up with a group exhibit instead. We opened in March of that year and pragmatically called our show “Pinuwawan”, to which Geraldine’s mother commented with “intawn pod!

The exhibit ran for a week and so the 3 of us took turns on watching over it. One day while Ivy and I were taking our turn, we happened to find an extra strip of canvas in our stuff and playfully wrote a note on it that said, “to all artists, please draw here” and inserted it inside our guest book. When noontime came, we took off for a quick bite and came back an hour later, expecting for another boring afternoon. Little did we know that while we were out, a couple of artists dropped by to see our exhibit – Tito Cuevas, a well-known Cebuano abstractionist (better known as the bad guy of Cebuano art) who brought along with him a Japanese friend who also happened to be an artist!

We found ourselves speechless, or rather astounded over what we found inside our guest book. Probably upon seeing our note, the 2 artists gamely made an on-the-spot “mini artwork” each on the canvas and even signed them both! Thankfully, Ivy and I were evidently opposites and so splitting the artworks was never an issue. Being a Cuevas fan back in those days, a mere autograph was more than enough for me to be elated, much more acquiring an authentic artwork of his. Ivy on the other hand, was also ecstatic seeing the Japanese’s sketch. Too bad, I could no longer recall the artist’s name. (I wonder too, if she still has the artwork up to this day.)

It took me years to have the now classic Cuevas piece framed, for reasons I could not comprehend. But one thing is for sure, I am keeping this collector’s item for as long as I can.

I never got nor I may never get to say this to him personally but, "thank you Mr. Cuevas".

1 comment:

  1. sorry biggie, duha ra man gud sila niadto so wala ka'y share. you were busy then making calls for patik grafik haha ;-)

    ReplyDelete