Monday, January 18, 2010

Sinulog Weekend




Today, January 17, I'm a Cebuano at large. It's Sinulog or the feast day of the Child Jesus, better known locally as Senor Sto. Nino. And as everyone else is down the streets of Cebu for the grand celebration, I am also down the Philippine map - Tawi-Tawi to be exact. I have 6 official days to complete a 13'x28' setup. Much smaller compared to my 2 previous FISH exhibits but having worked on this project practically alone, the almost 1 year preparation still seemed not enough for me. (Or am I just overacting?) Initially my boss was a bit excited on this project and even committed for 2 simultaneous exhibits for the province of Tawi-Tawi and the municipality of Panglima Sugala. But somehow later on, her excitement was abruptly set aside when the so-called Ecological Evangelization activity suddenly came into the picture. (No offense meant to You Senor Sto. Nino.) So going back, we were scheduled to open 1 exhibit in August and the other in September 2009. But sometime in June, the municipal mayor of PS begged off for the earlier planned August opening. And having just finished a month-long preparation for a 3-day national event, I felt so relieved with the postponement. It was decided then to go on with our September schedule but as faith would have it, it was finally agreed to do the launching in January 2010. Whew! And so here I am today, working with Muslim friends on a Sinulog weekend. I'm pretty sure the little Guy up there wouldn't mind at all. Viva Pit Senor Sto. Nino!

No comments:

Post a Comment