Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wave Back




Have you ever been waved at by somebody unfamiliar or somebody you don't know at all? And suddenly you get into this uncomfortable feeling or confusion if it's really you they're waving at? Tendencies are: 1) you immediately look at your back to make sure if such greeting is really meant for you, or, 2) you simply wave back and go on with your own business. Last Thursday, on my way up to my hotel room here in Tawi-Tawi, and running away from a slight drizzle, I had to take a second look at the woman a few meters upfront, waving at me coupled with a gracious smile. I noticed it was Ma'am Rachel, the hotel owner. Although we've already been introduced exactly a year ago, I don't think she'll specifically remember me, along with all their other numerous guests all year round. And since I was a bit in a hurry, I ended up waving back at her and she excitedly waved back, again. Hmmm... Was it really meant for me? Does she really remember me? All these questions and more have somehow stirred my mind as I walked down the hallway. The following day, I was invited by the Vice Governor to help set up their boardroom for a local project launching. I happened to see Ma'am Rachel there too. Recalling the day before, I waited for her to greet me but she didn't, not until Nur, our site manager introduced us again. Only then did she smile and shook my hand as if it was the first time we've met, which only confirmed that it really wasn't me she greeted the other day after all. Okay. Going back to earlier yesterday, during the launching of our exhibit for the Tawi-Tawi Information Center, I stationed myself at the back of the stage to take some pictures and to check out the lights just before the guests got in. From afar, I saw the newly-arrived Sir Nygiel, my officemate, seated at the back row and automatically, I waved at him to say hi. He himself smiled and waved back at me as well. To my amusement, the Bongao Mayor, who was seated at the front row smiled at me and waved back too! Haha! Gotcha Mayor!

No comments:

Post a Comment